<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, October 04, 2004

I finally bought a wireless network adaptor for my Thinkpad. This was somewhat a "necessity" purchase, because at my workplace they use a wireless networks to connect the computers to the Internet, and I've "outlived" my grace to a wireless adaptor that was loaned to me. I realized how important it is to have one when today I tried to connect to the Internet at McDonald's and I realized I couldn't, because I didn't have a wireless adaptor!

Anyway, when I got home I immediately plugged the adaptor into my laptop and did a site survey. Not surprising, there were at least two wireless networks in my vicinity and I managed to hook on to one of them without additional software (albeit having a very weak and unstable signal). Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to leech other people's broadband connection, but rather I wanted to see first-hand how vulnerable and insecure an incorrectly configured wireless network can be. True enough, there are still people who refuse to take precautions securing their wireless network despite the widespread publicity on wireless network security and countless articles describing how to secure them.

Basic WEP and MAC filtering measures should be enough to fend off leechers, although it may take more than these measures to truly secure a wireless network against more advanced hackers--but then again, those people probably won't loiter about HDB flats looking for unsecured wireless networks. :)

Eariler today was the end-course debrief with the school on the programme that TOUCH Youth Services has been working with for the past 10 weeks or so. It was a favourable conclusion, with plans from the school to bring us back for more work next year, not only with the current batch of students we have been working with, but also incoming students and new classes. Looks like it's going to be a busy year ahead!

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Image hosting provided by