<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Thanks to Friendster/Linux full-time? 

FriendsterThanks to Friendster, I've found a lost contact! Quite a number of posts earlier I've blogged my thoughts on how I was searching to re-establish contact with one of my best buddies in NS, Danny. It was not a direct process: since I don't have his email, I resorted to searching through all the "Danny"s. Narrowing the results were pretty easy since I know his age and possible location, so by looking through the profiles I can roughly know more or less which were the possible ones and which were the outright impossible ones.

Unfortunately, some of the Friendster profiles were quite sparse in details, and that made my search more difficult. There was not a direct score on any of the profiles so I kinda gave up. A few days later, there was this request from one of the profiles I've searched through to be added to his Friendster list (probably because he saw my profile on the "Who's Viewed Me" list—a pretty recent feature added). A message here, a check there, so this person was the one I've been searching for the last few years! :)

These are the little things that brightens up my life, and I can't wait to meet him face to face again!

On a totally separate note, I was thinking of converting to Linux as my main operating system (OS) for my computers; both my desktop and my notebook PC. However, having to deal with existing data on NTFS partitions held me back since I haven't found a way to write to an NTFS partition (apart from using the FUSE filesystem which I've tried and found it unstable, at least on my system).

Another issue is getting WPA on wireless to work in Linux, since there are no direct WPA support for the wireless cards I'm using.

Adding to the confusion is choosing between Fedora Core, a Linux distribution that I am pretty comfortable with and having a high level of flexibility (read: "more difficult to configure and use"), versus the more desktop-oriented Ubuntu that is not so widely used (read: "less community support").

There are other minor considerations like web accessibility: a number of websites are built to render on Internet Explorer, and may break on Firefox to various degrees; playing Internet video in Linux (Real, Windows Media, Quicktime) and finding Open Source equivalents of the Windows applications I'm so used to.

I'll still stick with a dual-boot (with WinXP) system, but I'm thinking of changing my default OS to Linux, booting to Windows only when absolutely necessary. Until the pertinent issues have been addressed, completely coverting to Linux won't be something that will happen in the near future.

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Image hosting provided by